Resurrection Cathedral (Tver): architectural features, history, reviews
In the area of Christmas hills of the city of TverThe Resurrection Cathedral is the main attraction. The temple is located on the right bank of the Tymaki, founded at the beginning of the First World War. The article describes the history and architectural features of the Resurrection Cathedral in Tver.
The foundation of the temple
Like most churches and monasteries in Russia,The Resurrection Cathedral in Tver in the early twenties was already inaccessible to parishioners. It was founded in 1913, closed in the mid-thirties. Worship here was forbidden much earlier. The temple was consecrated in April 1916. On the day when this important event was taking place, Elizaveta Fedorovna, the princess of the Romanovs' house and the founder of one of the most famous Moscow monasteries, was present in the cathedral. Two years later, a representative of the royal family was arrested, sent to Perm and killed there by the Bolsheviks.
The exterior of the temple
The Resurrection Cathedral in Tver is a temple built inneo-Russian architectural style. Similar structures were actively erected at the beginning of the 20th century in the Pskov and Novgorod regions. Has a cubic form, three apses, quite massive drums. In the western part - a porch with choruses, which is completed on the facade with a tongs. Consider and evaluate the architectural features of the Resurrection Cathedral in Tver can be seen in the photo above.
In Soviet times
In the early twenties the cathedral was convertedin the warehouse. In one of its parts was a dining room. The abolished temple, according to legend, once visited Krupskaya. The cross had already been removed by that time. In its place, a five-pointed star was hoisted. In the room itself hung banners with slogans that correspond to the spirit of the times, for example, "Down with the Church."
Revival of the Temple
The cathedral was returned to the Orthodox Church at the endeighties. Already then, active restoration work began. The temple belongs to the Tver diocese - one of the largest in Russia. Perhaps, that is why the restoration was not so long as in other temples and monasteries of the country. The services resumed in 1992, and soon a new gilt cross was installed at the cathedral. The height of the cross is two and a half meters, width - two meters. In 2006, next to the cathedral, a small church was erected in the same style as the main building.
How to get to the Resurrection Cathedral in Tver?The address of the temple: Barrikadnaya Street, house 1. The temple is located on the border of Proletarian and Central districts. It is in close proximity to the historic city center. Near the church is the White Trinity.
The cathedral is part of the Nativity of Christmonastery. This monument of Russian architecture is visited daily by a huge number of tourists. The cathedral, according to reviews, resembles a modern building. In a small ancient temple, located on the territory of the Nativity of Christ, there are icons preserved here in the last century. Survived and wall painting, which can not be said of the Resurrection Cathedral. Here during the years of Soviet power it was completely destroyed.
The Resurrection Cathedral was built in honor oftercentenary of the Romanov dynasty. We can say that he has a direct connection with the era of tsarist Russia. At the same time, there are different opinions about the temple. For many, the monastery, which is located in the Proletarian district, is of more interest. The cathedral is not impressive because of its visible modernity. Others, on the contrary, are attracted by an unusual architectural style. After all, in Moscow and Tver, there are not many such temples.
Comments on the architectural appearance of the complex, as well as the atmosphere that reigns there, are different. Perhaps, it is worth to visit both the cathedral and the monastery in order to form your own opinion.