How to save cabbage for the winter?
After harvesting in the garden, each hostess thinks about how to save it in the winter. One of the most recent collect cabbage, which can be on the beds until the first frost. But nevertheless in the winter, with improper storage of the vegetable, you can lose most of the harvest. There are several ways to save cabbage for the winter, and each of them deserves attention.
Cabbage storage in winter
- Cabbage can be leavened or pickled. This is one of the most popular and vintage ways to store cabbage. Salt in this case acts as an excellent preservative and helps to preserve the vegetable until spring. It is worth noting that sauerkraut has become for many nations a traditional dish, without which not a single winter table can do. Several recipes for the preparation of sauerkraut, you can learn from our article How to pickle cabbage for the winter.
- In the cellar or basement, you can save the cabbage, folded in a small pyramid or hanging forks. It is worth noting that this way you can save only dense cabbages.Stored cabbage with cover sheets.
- Another one of the old ways of storing cabbage is sawdust and snow. To do this, a box with cabbage tightly poured with snow, tamped and sprinkled with sawdust on top. So you can save the cabbage in the cellar until the next harvest.
- Another way to save cabbage is to pack it in cling film.
- Lovers of cabbage can freeze steamed cabbage leaves in the freezer for the winter.