How to harness a horse?
Not every person now owns a horse, especially why we need him in the city, another thing is to have an animal outside the city, where you can use it for work and rest. It is clear that sooner or later, you will need to harness him in a wagon, sleigh, and if you come across this for the first time in your life, then you will be very difficult to harness a horse. At the same time, in order to know the sequence of a horse knight, you need to try to do this more than once. Therefore, in this article we will try to give practical advice on the horse harness technique, we will also highlight the main components of the team, what types of teams are there.
What is harness, its components
Before you harness a horse, you need to understand the concept of harness. So, harness or harness - this is a special device for directly harnessed horse in a wagon of any type. Consider the main components and constituent parts of any team:
- The bridle is the main element of the team that serves to control the horse. In turn, the bridle has in itself the following components: udil (or snaffle,which is inserted into the horse's mouth); ring bit; neck belt; two naschechnyh belts that contribute to fixing the snaffle in the horse's mouth; chin strap, due to which the bridle does not slide off the horse's head; headband that prevents the rein from falling on the horse's neck.
- The second major component of the harness is the yoke with which the horse’s tractive effort is transmitted to the cart. Consists of: ticks; Homutin; Suponi; tugs (they connect the yoke with the shafts); tires; felt lining; gort (special belt that fixes the clamp); rings. It should be remembered that the clamp should not be too tight and compress the horse's neck.
- The saddle is a special device for the harness that secures and supports the harness, and also transmits up to 15% more horse traction.
- The girth is a device to hold the saddle on the horse's back.
- Another very important element of the harness is stitching. Thanks to this component, the clamp is held, it stands still and does not move when, for example, a very hard braking or descending from the mountain. A braid is essentially a set of belts that adjusts, holds, fixes a horse in a harness.
- The cradle is a special belt that runs through the saddle and also connects to the shaft. This belt supports the collar, shafts, arcs on the horse's back and contributes to the transfer of traction from the animal to the team. There is also such a belt called the underbelly, which runs under a cinch and is attached to the shaft.
- If you are interested in harness horses, then you know about the reins in the very first place. The reins are designed to control the horse.
- And the last component without which the harness cannot exist is the arc. It connects the yoke and the shaft with the help of tugs. Also, the arc is designed to absorb, soften the blows of the cart on the roughness of the road, which is very good for the horse.
To in more detail, in the form of pictures, to learn about the device of the team and the order of the horse's harness, you can visit
Having dealt with the fact of what the harness consists of, you can proceed to the very process of horse-drawn carriage into a cart. Next, we will tell you how to properly harness a horse into a Russian single-arc arc-sled.
Order horse harnesses in a wagon
- Start horse harness with inspection and cleaning of the animal.It is also necessary to inspect all components of the harness for integrity, check for obvious damage, if the tugs do not have the same length, trim them (because the harness will be crooked and this will significantly interfere with the movement of the wagon).
- After preparations for the team, take it to a flat platform and take out the whole harness.
- Take the abdominal and the Sunday, as these are two belts that are sewn to one ring with one end. Pass these belts in this way through the ring so that you can form a loop, then put a loop on the shaft.
- After that, put on the horse collar, bridle and saddle. Do not forget to put the saddle so that she fell on the bottom of the withers. Here is a very delicate balance, because if you put the saddle right on the horse's withers, then it will be high, if it is low on the back. The clamp must be worn upside down (with pliers facing up). Put it on your head, then in the narrowest part of the horse's neck, turn the collar to the side, with the tongs now down. Do not forget to fix it so that the collar conveniently lies on the horse's neck.
- Next, put the stitching on the withers and begin to straighten it, fasten all the buckles of the stitches to the corresponding straps that are on the strap.Adjust the stitching in size so that your palm can crawl between the belt and the horse's ischial tubercles.
- Now bring the horse into the yard to take it to the shaft. At the moment, you can bring a horse into the shaft in several ways, it is: to get a horse through the shaft itself (this is the case when the horse steps over the pole well); put the horse in front of the shafts and lead (this type is more suitable compliant horses); and the last way in which you need to roll the shaft on the horse itself (a good way for young, more fearful horses).
- After winding up, you need to take the arc, become face to the horse. Attach the arc to the right leg of the animal, then take the tug with your left free hand, as the tug tends to stretch, adjust it to the size you need, twisting it several times.
- Next, take a tug and place it so that it is the distance from the end of the shaft, about one - two palms. Now you need to take an arc, keep it in front of you, and the ring should be away from you. The left end of the arc you need to insert into the loop of the tug, then shift the other end of the arc through the shaft itself, again before the tug and at the same time turn the arc forward to put the shaft into the arc cut (lay the arc on the horse's neck).
- Now go to the second shaft, just turn the arc with a hollow to the shaft, take a tug and put it on the shaft and stretch the loop on the arc (you can pull it on the shaft, pull it towards you with pliers).
- After that, tighten the clamp, you should wind the supon around the tongs, the belt itself should be firmly tightened. Thus, the tongs are closed and now note that the arc must be perpendicular to the shafts.
- Next you need to tie the horse to the left shaft and pulling the horse back a step, insert into the collar.
- After that, go to the horse's head, take the reason and throw it around the neck, tie the lanyard by one of the tugs at such a distance that the horse can straighten the neck. Thongs throw over the shafts, so as not to be confused under the feet of the horse.
- In the end, you put the reins on the fishing rod, it is best to skip one of the reins under the tug, and the other should be placed above the tug.
In this way, you already know how to harness a horse. Good luck!