How to create a java game?
There are enough programming languages for writing games. The difficulty level is different. Experts believe that Java is best suited for writing mobile applications. In mastering it is quite simple. Therefore, in order to learn how to make mobile games, you just need to be patient and make a little effort. And in this article we will show you how to write a game in Java.
Creating mobile games
- First you need to install the necessary components:
- A set of emulators that will be used to test written modules. This is the J2ME Wireless Toolkit.
- The compiler used to create archives. This is J2SE.
- Text editor.
- Next you need to run the WTK Toolbar application.
- Create a new project using the menu "File", "New project".
- Fill in the fields: project name and class. Click Ok. The new project will be in the WTK program in the apps folder. Directory folders will contain the following:
- bin folder - executable files;
- res folder - resources;
- lib folder - libraries;
- src folder - source files.
- It is necessary to carefully consider the storyline and graphics.
- In accordance with the chosen theme, write a program for the java-game.
- Be sure to test it, first using the emulator, and then run on the phone.
- For this you need to compile the project through the WTK editor item Build. Click the Run button
- If there are no problems with the launch, you need to pack the application into 2 archives (.jad and .jar) to download to your phone.
- To do this, select the item Project. Next Package. Archives that appeared in the bin folder need to be downloaded to the phone.
In order to understand how to make a java-game, you need to know what difficulties each beginning java-game programmer has to face. It:
- The capabilities of hardware resources.
- User satisfaction.
- Debugging the game.
Hardware resources. Mobile processors are usually low-power compared to desktops or PDAs. Plus, quite often in mobile devices there are no graphic accelerators. In this regard, it is necessary to analyze what the program spends the most time on. But one should not completely give up trying to warn various delays in the game.
When writing programs for which productivity is the main cause of headaches, there is a proven approach: first you need to do it so that it works, then so that it works correctly, and after that, you have to do it so that it works quickly.
User satisfaction. When creating java-games for mobile devices, there are factors that can affect negatively the opinion about the game:
- Firstly, due to the fact that the screen is small, it is not easy to fit everything as it was intended;
- Small keys are not very convenient to use, sometimes it prevents the player to achieve high results in the game;
- Very limited sound capabilities.
When creating a game all this must be considered. In order to interest users, it is necessary to create an appearance worthy of attention for the game, good sound design and quite convenient control.
Debugging This is the most time consuming process. For this, it is most convenient to use an emulator, for example, WTK. Another good way to debug is the demo mode of the game. Ideally, all game functionality should be enabled in the demo mode.