How to cook herring under a fur coat?
A classic recipe for herring under a fur coat should know any hostess. Do you know that, according to legend, it was the herring under a fur coat that reconciled the proletariat with the peasantry, being born in the crucial year of 1918. This traditional festive dish served for many years and serves as a symbol of unification and always "goes bang" during a feast. Every time there is a guest who will look for his favorite herring under a fur coat. The classic version of the salad involves the use of a large amount of mayonnaise, which makes the salad very nourishing, but also high-calorie. However, despite this, it is one of the most beloved and popular salads among Russians. So, how to cook herring under a fur coat?
The classic recipe for herring under a fur coat
- light-salted herring - 1-2 pieces or prepared fillet -300 gr
- potato - 300 gr
- beets - 300 gr
- carrot - 300 gr
- Onion (preferably salad) - 150 gr
- egg - 1-2 pcs (for decoration)
- Boil potatoes, carrots and beets in their skins until tender, cool and peel. And in order to save more micronutrients and vitamins, you can bake vegetables in the oven, so it will taste better.
- Onions finely chopped and pour boiling water for 10 minutes to get rid of bitterness.
- Boil eggs in steep salted water and grate on a fine grater.
- If you use whole fish, it must be gutted and stoned.
- Chop the herring fillet into small cubes and place on the bottom of the form or a vase for salad (it is better to use a flat bottom vase).
- Top on herring spread out chopped onion and cover abundantly with mayonnaise.
- Then put the potatoes in an even layer of grated potatoes on a coarse grater and gently smear with mayonnaise.
- Next, distribute the grated carrots. The last vegetable layer of lettuce consists of grated beets, which are laid out on carrots and covered with mayonnaise.
- Sprinkle lightly over the grated egg, and the classic herring is ready for the fur coat!
Tips for cooking herring under a fur coat
- To make the appetizer look even more appetizing, you can decorate it with green peas, walnuts, sprigs of greens or make rosettes of beets and carrots. It should be cut into thin ribbons of different lengths from carrots and beets and rolled into flowers, and here in your fur coat is already a field of flowers!
- In order for the salad to be well soaked, it is best to place it in the refrigerator for several hours and cover it with food film or a lid.
- Before serving, the salad is usually cut like a cake. If you want the appetizer to look elegant in a restaurant, you can use cooking forms for salads or serving rings. It's simple: you need to take a large flat plate and set the serving ring in the center, lubricate it inside with vegetable oil and carefully lay out all the above layers of salad. Thanks to this method of serving, each layer of herring under a fur coat will stand out brightly!
- Salad herring under a fur coat can give an piquancy to apples or pickled cucumbers, a layer of which should be placed between carrots and beets.
A classic herring under a fur coat is an amazing salad that has not lost its popularity for many decades. Delight your loved ones with this masterpiece of cooking!