Dzerzhinsk, Belarus: history and sights
Dzerzhinsk (Belarus) is known to everyone as a small town in the vicinity of the capital of the country. Few people know the history of this town, its significance. Few know about the past of this place.
Now the city of Dzerzhinsk (Belarus) is a smalla provincial town in the suburbs of Minsk. The population is just over 25 thousand inhabitants. Its location is the Minsk Upland (at the intersection of the basins of the Dnieper and Neman rivers). The city is located on the territory of the highest point of Belarus - on the mountain Dzerzhinskaya. Coordinates: 53 degrees and 41 minutes north latitude and 27 degrees 8 minutes east longitude. 222720 - the Dzerzhinsk index (Belarus).
History of the town
The history of the city is thousands of years old. This is evidenced by many archaeological finds, monuments and burial grounds. The district has a large number of mounds, settlements and settlements.
From ancient times Dzerzhinsk (Belarus) was known forthe name of Krutogorye. The first mention of the city dates back to 1146. In the old church, which later burned down, there was an icon with a picture of the Krutogorye and an indication of the date. This is evidenced in the book of the famous ethnographer Shpilevsky.
Until 1483 Dzerzhinsk passed from hand to hand,from one ruler to another. Countries and rulers changed, but the city remained. It was under Krutogorye that the Tatar army of Khan Koidan was defeated. At first Krutogorye was part of the Polotsk principality, and after the collapse of it and the death of the Witches of Wonder, the town moved to the Minsk principality. This happened in the 11th century, and already in the 13th century AD Dzerzhinsk became part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. In 1445, at the behest of the King of Poland and Prince of Lithuania, a number of cities, including Krutogorye, were donated to Mikhail Sigismundovich, their cousin. During this period the town received a different name.
Name Koidanovo city Dzerzhinsk (Belarus)received in honor of local blacksmiths, who were called kojdans. The mountain on which the city was founded gave good ore at all times. And blacksmith's products from this ore were famous for all of Kievan Rus, especially weapons.
Since 1483, Koidanovo was under jurisdictionVasily Vereisky and was part of the property of great-grandson Dmitry Donskoy. From 1550 to 1831 Koidanovo belonged to the family of the Radziwills. At that time the town began to settle down, expand. There were erected:
- Calvin's Cathedral.
Alas, the cathedral was destroyed by wars and time. In the war with Napoleon near Dzerzhinsky, a major battle took place, where the French troops were defeated - the Russians won.
The city of Dzerzhinsk (Belarus) is known for itsit was there that "iron" Felix was born. In honor of this event the city was later renamed in 1932. The town of Koidanovo was given the status of the city and its modern name.
Attractions and memorial places
The city of Dzerzhinsk (Belarus) has a number of attractions that any tourist will be interested to visit.
Gashtoldov mountain. An ancient settlement. It is there that the foundation of the city is laid. There was laid ancient hillfort, where later the Calvinsky cathedral was built. It was preserved only in drawings and photographs of drawings, since in the 30s of the last century it was dismantled for the construction of a district hospital. Now it is a symbolic place in the form of a hill with a memorial plaque and remains of the fortress wall and one of 9 towers.
Manor of the Czapski. Its historical value lies in the peculiarities of the structure, which was erected in the medieval style as a knight's castle. In the estate there is a collection of objects of painting and numismatics.
Church of St. Anne. From this building began the history of Koidanova. The temple is built of wood, so it is constantly being rebuilt and restored. On the territory of the church there is a real garden with altars, flower beds, statues and benches.
The Church of the Intercession of the Blessed Virgin. An ancient building with real ancient salaries and icons. There are kept ancient shrines.
Crypt of Protestant temple. He is immured, since there is a legend that when the Bolsheviks tried to destroy the tombs and sanctuary of the temple, they were met by the furious army of skeletons from the crypt. After that, the crypt was immured.
Dzerzhinsk is worth it to visit. Good location. A cozy hotel Westa, which is located in an ecologically clean area of the city. Friendly residents. And the possibility of touching history.